3 sturdy, cardboard boxes of different heights (boxes shown measure as follows [measurements given as length x height x width]:8" x 4" x 8", 12" x 12" x12", 10" x 5" x 12"
1 (18-ounce / standard-size) cylindrical oatmeal box (or other cylindrical container)
Woven fabric to wrap around boxes
Beans or rice to partially fill cylindrical container
Bird Ornaments from Last-Minute Patchwork & Quilted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson
Fallen branches, preferably growing in a variety of directions
Newspaper, for making leaves for branches
5" embroidery hoop
Finely woven cotton or linen, for embroidering sign
6-strand embroidery floss (all 6 strands held together)
Water-soluble fabric marker or standard pencil
Glue gun and glue
STC Craft books
1) Wrap the 3 sturdy boxes in woven fabric as if you're wrapping them with wrapping paper. Use hot glue to secure in place.
2) Wrap an oatmeal box (or any other cylindrical container) in woven fabric and secure with hot glue. Place a few inches of beans or rice in the container.
3) Place a piece of tightly woven fabric in the embroidery hoop. Write a message, such as "Well-Crafted Books" on the fabric using a water-soluble pen or a pencil. Using embroidery floss and needle, embroider your message.
4) Place boxes on display table. Place stacks of STC Craft books where you want them on and around boxes.
5) Place branches in the oatmeal box. Adjust beans or rice as needed so the branches stand up. Hang the Bird Ornaments on the branches. Cut a few simple leaf shapes out of newspaper and secure them to the branches with hot glue. Place embroidery hoop sign on display.
Display created by Kayte Terry and photographed by Jen Causey.